Sunday, February 18, 2018

Wanderings and illusions


The whole thing's illusion, [Jacob], and there's nothing wrong with that. It's what people want from us. It's what they expect.” 

― Sara Gruen
Water for Elephants


I am just learning how to knit in my old age. It never fails to amaze me what people can do with sticks and a couple of strings. 

I make lots of mistakes. And when I make mistakes, I tend to spend time wandering around Ravelry and the Blogosphere. I guess that's appropriate since according to Robyn Davidson, the French word for wanderlust or wandering is 'errance.' The etymology is the same as 'error.' So to wander is to make mistakes. In other words, to make mistakes, to make errors is sort of the idea of learning through trial and error, allowing the mistakes to be part of the process. 

Anyway, one wander led me to a website called IllusionKnitting.

The art that they were able to knit was amazing, so I decided to try my hand at one of their easiest designs. Illusion Maple Leaves by Steve Plummer

When the knitting was done, I mounted it on a piece of mdf board using Velcro as they recommended. Then I went out and split a piece of punky popple firewood and wood burned it, then polyed it. Next, I took some left over yarn and knotted an I-cord and stapled it all together.

Here is the end result:


I am pretty pleased with it and have a couple of ideas for different things. Hooray for errance!


3 comments:

  1. I definitely liked your cranberry bread recipe and Julia Childs comment. We often take fall trips into Wisconsin's cranberry country..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My understanding is that you knit the Lisa Richardson World pattern and I'm having trouble interpreting the instructions is there some way that we could talk and you could give me a clue or a hand or some help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as an FYI this your blog reminds me of on Eagle Pond writings

    ReplyDelete